Need to put a good meal together but it’s too hot to cook? Here’s an easy menu for those hot-weather meals.
Knowing that hot days are still ahead, the wise cook organizes a plan for dishes that take only minutes to prepare, yet satisfy those fickle summer appetites. First, take a look in your refrigerator. Any pre-cooked foods (also known as leftovers) that could make a great cold dish? Cooked quinoa, lentils, bulgur and rice are excellent bases for no-cook salads. And if you’ve got some pre-cooked freekah, try the wonderful freekah, feta and fig salad. Take a look also at our post on back-to-school lunches, where many of the recipes fit the no-cook category.
But let’s say your fridge and freezer offer nothing inspiring. Get ready to make a shopping list, and take note of the following appetizer, cold soup, sandwich, salad, and dessert. None of them require more than boiling water.
1. Appetizer: Fruity Bulgur Salad. Half the recipe will make appetizers for 4.
2. Cold Soup: Watermelon Gazpacho
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 tablespoons red-winevinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
Mix watermelon, cucumber, bell pepper, basil, parsley, vinegar, shallot, oil and salt in a large bowl.Puree 3 cups of the mixture in a blender or food processor to the desired smoothness.Transfer to another large bowl. Puree another 3 cups and add to the bowl.Stir in the remaining diced mixture. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
3. Sandwich: Choose one or more from our list of fast and easy sandwiches.
4. Salad: Try our Vegan Chickpea and Artichoke Salad. You can use canned chickpeas and artichoke hearts from a jar. With good bread and a dip, this hearty salad becomes a main dish.
5. Dessert: No doubt about it: our Fresh Figs with Arak and Cream.
More light and easy recipes on Green Prophet:
Image of tomato gazpacho from Shutterstock