Looking for a quick, delicious and healthy side dish? Grab some sweet potatoes.
There’s lots of cooking going on at this time of year. Passover, Easter, vacation time – guests coming over, family at home, and festive meals to prepare. A busy cook needs easy, reliable recipes to fill out her or his menus. Sweet potatoes fill the description, and luckily they’re still in season. If date honey (a familiar ingredient in the Middle East) isn’t available where you live, replace it with maple syrup or plain honey thinned with a little water and blended with a very little lemon juice. This recipe is popular with everyone, especially kids. The sweet potatoes and date honey combine to make a lightly sweet side dish that has no artificial flavors, coloring, or white sugar.
Sweet Potatoes Roasted in Date Honey
2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon powdered cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons date honey, maple syrup or diluted honey
1. Slice the sweet potatoes thickly and place the slices in a large bowl.
2. Drizzle the olive oil over the slices and roll them around in it.
3. Add the dry spices and roll the slices around again, making sure all surfaces are seasoned.
4. Let the sweet potatoes sit in the seasonings for 15 minutes.
Meantime, preheat the oven to 350° F – 180° C.
5. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray. Drizzle date honey over them.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or till tender.
There will be a small amount of cooking juices. Spoon them over the sweet potatoes and serve.
More Green Prophet posts about spring holidays: