The fashion industry is not known for being friendly towards animals (particularly those of the furry variety), but Fashion Beirut contradicted expectations last month when it created a photo campaign together with Animals Lebanon. The photo campaign shows a fashionable young woman accompanied by a dog (who, if for no other reason, should be well taken care of because he makes a fabulous fashion accessory). The tagline for the campaign is “best friends are not meant to be abused”.
The campaign was produced in part to support the efforts of Animals Lebanon, a Beirut-based organization that attempts to stop circus animal abuse, zoo animal abuse, and the unfair treatment of stray animals.
Animals Lebanon describes its mission as working “to protect animals through legislation, education, campaigns and rescue.” The organization believes that
“our treatment of animals is a reflection of how we treat ourselves and each other. We believe that the welfare of all animals matters, and are committed to bringing about a time when these beliefs are embraced by society and Lebanon is recognized as a leader in animal welfare.”
Animals Lebanon has already successfully:
- closed down three abusive zoos and rehomed over 100 animals in sanctuaries
- exposed circus cruelty and led to the closing of a circus
- established an animal adoption center and rehomed over 700 cats and dogs
- investigated the smuggling of endangered animals into and through Lebanon
- worked with the Lebanese Ministry of Agriculture to draft and enact national animal welfare legislation
Read more about animal abuse issues in Lebanon:
Abuse of Circus Animals in Lebanon Challenges Lack of Legal Framework
Stray Dogs Shot Dead in Lebanon
Lebanon‘s Lions, Tigers and Bears Take the Heat