16 responses

1. Lauren
    July 23, 2016

I love this post! I run a breastfeeding support group and host a website called Breastfeeders in Australia. I have been looking for a guest blog to write about breastfeeding in Islam. I feel your values promote and value breastfeeding much more than Western culture, and in my niche, it’s something women love to learn about. Modia, if this is of interest to you, or anyone else, please contact me at [email protected]

2. sharon
    June 25, 2016

Hi would like to say big thank to UK Susan baby home i recently adopted a child from them and it all went through well and will also advice anyone who need baby to adopt to contact them email:[email protected] please do this and save a life.

3. Adam
    May 21, 2016

my niece just got a baby girl , born 8 days ago. She was breasrfed by her biological mother for the first 4 days and handed over to my niece who adopted her.
    Question ; Is there any side effect to the meds?
    What are the advices you could give her about breastfeeding,? she is a very dedicated adoptive mother and like to do things by the book.

4. Tahira
    February 19, 2014

My husband has an illegitimate daughter who is now 3 years old. Her mother is now unable to look after her and we would like for her to live with us but are unsure how to proceed with regards to Islam (the Western courts have agreed that we will have legal custody for her).
    We have older children and want her to have the same last name, etc so that she doesnt feel different and so that her illegitimacy wont be a burden for her as she grows.
    If I lactate and then express the 250ml and she drinks it out of a cup or bottle (she still uses one at bedtime) will she be Islamically ”adopted”?

• Sara
      June 1, 2016

If she’s your husbands daughter and you are sure of it, and he claims her, then how come she wouldn’t be regarded as a sibling among her other siblings? However, I don’t know everything about the kinship of an illegitimate child, so its best if you ask a qualified scholar or mufti. You can ask on islamqa.com/en. Also, the breastfeeding kinship wouldn’t work on her now, because she has to be below two years old. That I’m pretty sure about.

5. Mary Macri
    January 15, 2014

I followed a similar plan and was able to successfully feed my adopted son. I was blessed to be able to start when he was only 2 days old. I worked closely with an experience lactation consultant. Although my milk supply was not the full amount he needed I was able to use supplement bags so that it would not wean him off the breast milk. With this method I nursed with supplements until he was 2 months. (2 months switched to bottle and nursing for comfort and any breast milk he could get. ) I had gotten up to producing 2oz in 15 minutes of pumping.

6. Hanifah Muhammah
    April 28, 2013

This should be researched further. I too thought of this after not being able to conceive. I have been able to breastfeed successfully a child (who was not my own). Later, I found that the milk that was expressed must be the milk of the husband, i.e. through his having gotten the woman pregnant. If the milk is not from the husband, it is not considered breastfeeding according to the Shariah. This is what helps in making the child halal to be around the husband and his other children.

• Fatima
      September 19, 2015

I don’t think this is correct. Babies can become “milk siblings” or “milk relations” merely by feeding from a wet nurse (who was not impregnated by the same sperm), therefore it makes sense that an adopted mum can establish the same relationship.

7. Modia Batterjee
    April 24, 2013

Hi Ladies, from my experience most women were not able to feed directly. The main reason is that by the time the process of the adoption takes place the baby is already over 3 months old and it is quiet difficult to shift a baby from bottle to breast at that age. There are so many changes going on for the baby most mothers prefer to do what is less stressful at that time. The amount of milk required at 50ml is an approximation determined by Islamic scholars to give mothers a guide to follow. The Hadith was vague so I agree that it is closer to being symbolic and not a solid rule.

• UmAli
      January 16, 2014

My sister adopted a little boy from morocco, she also used medication and a lactating tea to breast feed him. But to be one the safe side she had me also breastfeed him. When she brought him home he was three month old, my son was two weeks old, He breast feed from me 5 full feeding, where he feed until he was full and was burped. The doctor was amazed that a 3 month old who was never breast feed latched onto a breast. It was difficult at first, but what we found worked was if we dripped some milk into his mouth first, or drip some on my nipple.

8. Karin Kloosterman
    April 21, 2013

It seems to be symbolic mostly

9. Jennifer
    April 21, 2013

noreen, 50cc is less than 2oz. That’s not a large feed at all. Babies should get at least an ounce per feed by one week of age, and it only increases from there.

10. noreen
    April 21, 2013

I was wondering the same question as Hannah. I also feel that 50ml is quite a bit of breast milk for one feed. Where did that number come from?

11. Hannah Katsman
    April 21, 2013

Hi Dr. Batterjee,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with adoptive mothers, and pointing out that women do have the option. Has any woman you worked with gone on to breastfeed directly, or only via pumping/bottle?

-Hannah

• farida
      May 15, 2013

dr batterjee
      i,m taking domperidone 10 mg 3 tablets 4 times.only milk drops coming.i,m not pumping is it correct dose or it should be 6 tablets/dose.u mentioned 60mg/day or dose please help me thx my baby is five mnths old now is there any centre in abudhabi..that can help

• Modia
        June 1, 2013

Farida, sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier. If you want to improve your milk supply while using domperidone (60 mg/day) you must be breastfeeding or pumping as well to physically stimulate the breast. I highly recommend stimulation first before using medications as your body already has the hormones it needs after delivery. Then if you need extra help you can take a natural aid such as fenugreek. Leave the medication for a very last resort. Pumping and direct breastfeeding together can easily increase your supply without the meds.