The greatest artificial lake in the Middle East, in Iran? Environmentalists in Tehran haven’t decided how a giant artificial lake, Chitgar Lake, will impact their city. Developers already have their plans.
As artificial islands in Dubai start to smell foul, authorities from the Iranian city of Tehran are pushing for a giant artificial lake for the western side of the city. Debates on construction of a vast artificial lake in the west of Tehran continues: The critics believe that the environmental impact assessment of the construction has not been done in a correct way and that the method of assessment has become “personal.”
Despite the debate, authorities at the Municipality of Tehran have announced that building the artificial lake (pictured above) will refresh Tehran’s terrible air pollution and will improve the underground water supply. To know a little bit more on >why 27 people a die from air pollution in Tehran, read this piece.
Back to the lake: other advantages that the Municipality are counting on is the fact that the lake will improve tourism to the region, they hope; it will create jobs, control the flowing surface water in the city, and will improve the ecology of the region. Plus they expect it to be eye-catching and photo-worthy. But will it be like Lake Geneva?
To be built next to Chitgar Park (which is famous for its bicycle routes) will be called Chitgar Lake and will have a volume of between 9.5 and 11 million cubic meters. According to the master plan of the 22nd region of Tehran, the area of the whole lake and the surrounding ground covers 330 hectares and the lake itself has an area of 220 hectares.
It is said that it will be the biggest artificial lake in the Middle East, and developers are already laying plans for new apartment complexes for the lake, see below.
However the giant dimensions are the point that the critics criticize. As they say, it will not be practical finding a massive amount of water to fill the lake. According to the website of the 22nd region of the Municipality of Tehran, about 80% of the needed water will be provided from the Kan River in the west of Tehran and the remaining 20% will come from the sub-surface waters.
While the river is seasonal and does not contain water in all months of the year, it seems that in addition to the environmental impacts of building the lake, water supply is another serious challenge of the project.
Also the environmental activists believe that by building the lake, 6 to 7 millions cubic meters of water will be evaporated annually and that is too much for a city that has limited water supply.
Building gigantic construction projects like this without an eye on theenvironment, we fear, is going to be a national problem. Human scale construction projects seem much greener at this point.
Read more green news from Tehran: