Greening your wedding is simple, chic and easy to do if you follow just a few of these suggestions.
Eco-romantics about to tie the knot pay attention: Green Prophet has the scoop on making your day of love as green as possible without compromising on romance and style. From mass weddings in the Middle East to intimate ceremonies in your own backyard, here are 7 ways to leave a smaller carbon footprint when you walk down the aisle together.
- If you are exchanging rings, consider giving heirloom jewels or ethically mined and harvested diamonds, gold, gems and platinum.
- Wear vintage gowns and suits or those made from eco-fabrics.
- Use locally grown, pesticide free wildflowers and natural materials to decorate.
- Serve food and beverages made from organic, locally harvested produce and vineyards.
- If the wedding is to be indoors, rent out a building that is built to greener standards, or one that donates a percentage of profits to environmental causes. Consider a museum, an art gallery, botanical garden, historical home or cultural center for the reception.
- As much as possible, consider how you can minimize the power requirements of your wedding by maximizing the use of natural lighting and cooling/heating options.
- Instead of gifts, have your guests donate money to environmental or other causes that are important to the bride and groom.
- If you are going to give your guests any party favors, make them eco-conscious. Candles made from soy, small planted seedlings, chocolate or other tasty morsel provided by a vendor that engages in conscious commerce.
We promised you seven, but we gave you eight. That’s because eco-weddings are about giving back more to your niche in this world. Going green is chic, fashionable, timely and likely to make you and your guests remember your wedding as something different from the norm. Give more in the ways that matter, and less in the ways that are wasteful.
Read More Green Wedding and Romance News:
Tips for a ‘Greener’ Muslim Wedding
Israeli-Born Natalie Portman Sports Green Engagement Ring