In preparation for Israeli election day, we present a series of posts with a summary of the environmental positions of the parties running for the Knesset on the following topics: Open Areas and Beaches, Green Energy, Radiation and Global Warming, Sustainable Development, Recycling, Water, and Air & Industrial Pollution and Enforcement.
RADIATION AND GLOBAL WARMING
1. Joining the planned Copenhagen accords planned for 2009 as a member state in the group of developed countries and preparing for the obligations of this commitment;
2. adopting legislation that will change the inappropriate rising trend in greenhouse gas emissions from various sources in Israel. Imposition of a “Carbon Tax” on a variety of the fossil emission sources in order to encourage efficiency and progress towards the increased utilization of alternative energies
3. An immediate stop to the construction of coal-fired power plants in order to switch from an increase in greenhouse gas emissions to a decrease.
4. Widening and deepening of the national network for monitoring air pollution, with transparency in transferring the monitoring results to all interested parties on the local and international level. Developing joint strategies with our neighbor countries in order to locate the producers of transboundary pollution and taking the necessary steps to eliminate or reduce these sources.
1. Cease the capitulation to the cellular telephone companies.
2. A prohibition on the construction of cellular antennas adjacent to residences, schools and kindergartens.
Striving to prevent the establishment of another coal fired power plant and to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
1. Adherence to the policy of informing the public regarding the locations and danger of cellular antennas; establishment of a national monitoring network; dismantling antennas that were established illegally or without the proper permit, charging the operator with costs and fines
2. Re-examination of the “3rd generation” technology, and examining the possibility of limiting the technologies offered by the cellular companies in order to protect public health.
The platforms of the Green Party, Israel Betenu, Israel Hazaka, Labor, Kadima and Sha”s had no mention of the topic of radiation and global warming.
Note that many of the positions on GREEN ENERGY are also connected with GLOBAL WARMING