Are you melting in the sticky Middle Eastern summer? Well here is a juicy fruit that is always a favourite, being nice and refreshing, the perfect thing for a summer’s day. There are many reasons for its popularity and not only because it is chock full of vital nutrients. Juices, desserts and decoration; watermelon is a lot more versatile than what you may have originally thought.
1. Watermelon scoop
To begin with, you can always carve up your watermelon in interesting patterns before you serve it. One way is to cut the melon in half and then scoop out the fruit using an ice-cream scoop. Once you have scooped out the whole half, you can return all the little watermelon balls into the shell and serve it. It is a great party favourite for both adults and children.
2. Adult version watermelon scoop
If you want to get more creative for an adult’s party, there is always an alcoholic option available that takes just a few minutes of preparation the night before.
1. First you need take a whole watermelon and cut a small circular hole in the side, until you can see the pink flesh of the fruit.
2. Then you take a bottle of vodka and insert it into the hole so that it stands upside down
3. Once you have inserted the bottle up to its neck, pull it out slightly so there is a little pocket of air between the fruit and the opening of the bottle. This allows the alcohol to seep into the fruit.
4. Leave it in the fridge overnight.
5. Cut it the following day and present it however you wish.
Keep in mind that the watermelon won’t keep more than a few days this way, but it is such a party favourite that you won’t have to worry about leftovers.
3. Watermelon sherbet
1 ½ tbsp gelatine
5 cups watermelon puree
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ cups milk
1 ½ tsp lime or lemon juice
1. Take ½ cup of watermelon puree and soften the gelatine in it, then let it stand at room temperature for a few minutes.
2. Slowly heat the gelatine till it is completely dissolved and then let it cool.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, then freeze.
This sherbet is a great variation to home made ice-cream. It is also extremely simple to prepare and makes a great dessert option for unexpected (or expected) summer guests.
Frozen watermelon never looked so good!
4. Watermelon popsicles
1. Puree some watermelon and pour it into popsicle moulds
2. Drop in some pieces of fresh fruit, cut small.
3. Then freeze.
This is a simple and completely sugar free alternative to the popsicles that children crave all the way through summer. You can also pour the puree into ice cube trays and then add it to fresh fruit juice instead of plain ice.
There is no end to the versatility of watermelon, whether you are pureeing it to make a great simple smoothie or creating a wicked alcoholic dessert, you can’t miss. Every one will appreciate this unique take on an old family favourite.