OnePure’s halal products are gelatin-free, and feel good on women who live in the Middle East.
Finally, here is a beauty range that is not only ethical but halal (permissible to use in Islam) and therefore aimed specifically at the growing Muslim beauty market: OnePure Halal Beauty, created by Canadian-born Layla Mandi, is a unique skincare line containing only halal ingredients.
The founder is a converted Muslim working as a make up artist in the USA, who promotes the cleaner beauty products with the assurance of the halal certification. This is significant for Muslims; an Islamic authority – Imam – inspects the production factories to ensure there are no haram (forbidden) products or alcohol used in the manufacturing process.
This is important for Muslims during prayer since no impurities are allowed on the body or clothing; OnePure ensures a spiritual ethos while remaining clean and smelling sweet.
[youtube width=”560″ height=”400″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS48Nvust0M[/youtube]See Layla’s story on the BBC – why she wanted to create gelatin-free products safe for Muslims to use, and which matched the climate in the Middle East.
What’s haram any way?
Some of the potentially questionable or haram ingredients used in mainstream beauty products are:
- Oleic Acid: found in moisturizers
- Lauric Acid: found in cleansers, exfoliants, and moisturizers
- Allantoin: found in moisturizers, toners and after shave
- Collagen: found in moisturizers, exfoliants, and cosmetics
- Keratin: found in moisturizers
- Palmitic Acid: found in moisturizers, masques and cosmetics
- Gelatin: found in moisturizers, cosmetics
- Stearic Acid / Stearyl Alcohol: found in moisturizers, cleansers, cosmetics, toners, masques, exfoliator, and after shave
- Glycerin/glycerol: found in moisturizers, cleansers, and after shave
A range of products offered by OnePure.
Further, OnePure’s innovative products suit Arabic skin types and help with skin burn and breakouts in extreme weather conditions. Rose water, whey proteins and camomile are just a few of the deeply soothing extracts used.
OnePure currently has 13 products with more in development. Their product line includes anti-aging creams, acne soother, the Perfect Toner and cleanser created for the ‘Gulf consumer’, eye creams to alleviate dark circles and moisturizers with a special formulation that keeps working even in humidity.
Unfortunately OnePure is only available in the UAE and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Here’s hoping they open up in a drugstore near us soon!