The summer is here and the kids are at home, if they are not at summer camp then you are probably hearing the words “I’m bored!” alot, if not too much. So how to keep your kids happy and green at the same time. In the next few weeks I hope to bring you some fun ideas to wile away the summer without putting a hole in your pocket!
First of all turn the TV off and let’s go out, whether you live in the city or the country, a little bit of imagination and old fashioned fun can keep you all busy and tired at the end of the day. Build your own kite and go fly, bike rides, nature trails, star-gazing and even bug collecting, all for no extra cost.
My first offering is good for inner-city and country kids alike. The Nature Trail can be at your local park or along your street, by foot or by bike. Just don’t forget plenty of water, a hat and suntan lotion.
So what’s involved;
- Getting to know your local Flora & Fauna can be great fun, take a bag along and a notepad and pencil.
- Collect leaves, to identify later, make rubbings from them too.
- Try making sketches of flowers and plants you see. Collect and press specimens later. It is important to know that some flowers and plants are protected so do ask before collecting.
- Make a note of habitats, do the flowers grow in full sun or shade, how tall or bushy are they.
- For birds, if you can sketch them, note their colours, size and what their songs sound like.
- What else do you see, maybe bugs & creepy crawlies, check them out when you get home, maybe collect them in jars (but don’t forget to put airholes in the top) and let them go afterwards. What do they eat, how long do they live for, how are they beneficial to their environment.
- Try going out early in the morning and then in the evening, see & hear the differences in your environment. Different birdsongs, maybe flowers that open in the morning close in the evening. You will be amazed at all the different aspects of life just in you local area or park.
- Felt inspired, maybe write a poem, and give that tree a big hug!