Eco-Mom Sophie started the debate on cloth diapers (or nappies as she calls them – it must be a UK thing). She continues her argument for why parents should switch over to cloth. Stinky khaki buckets aside, her arguments are in favor of making this earth a little bit greener.
“The Cloth Nappy Reigns”
It certainly does! Today we will be looking at what’s available here in Israel; you’ll be amazed at what we have got, also cloth nappy care routine with tips to get you started. But first, again just to show how important it is to your baby as well as our environment, here’s a few more unfriendly facts about disposables:
- That gel that sucks up and holds all the pee pee is sodium polyacrylate; it’s a real nasty, it has been linked to allergic reactions & toxic shock syndrome, it is a lethal chemical.
- Very nice and just to reassure you, to make those nappies nice and white chlorine is used which has been linked to dioxin, a known carcinogenic.
- The thing is disposables have only been around for the last 40 years or so, just like the majority of chemicals used in everyday products which means there really is no long term data about their health effects, so when you choose between cloth and disposable you are looking at a known and an unknown, well I know what I would choose. You?
So where to start: The great news is that all the suppliers in Israel have websites where you can take a look, have a read, ask all your questions, get advice and order the nappies straight to your home.
Siach Teva sells Kushies that have an excellent all in one nappy for the hard to convert, just put it in the laundry instead of the rubbish; they also have the classic which is used with a cover, prefolds and a swimsuit nappy.
Prices start from 32 NIS for the basic up to 69 NIS for the Ultra.
Bishvelnu sells Motherease & Sandy’s.
Motherease is a big favorite, literally, as it is a onesize nappy and by folding it up it can be used from birth to potty, this is the most economical option in the long run as you do not need to buy several sizes, prices start from 65 NIS.
Dahlias Diapers offers Happy Heinys which are pocket diapers, this is also an easy to use all in one option, and Bummis which work with flat & prefolds, prices start from 65 NIS.
Robyna this is a local company manufacturing pocket diapers from fleece, prices start from 75 NIS.
All of these companies offer discounts for multibuy packs for further savings and also offer trial packs.
So what do you need to get started? Checklist:
- It’s recommended between 18 to 20 nappies/diapers
- 4 nappy covers
- you can also buy extra booster pads for extra absorbency – ideal for the nighttime or heavy wetters
- and a roll of liners, biodegradable & flushable of course, to keep it super easy with the khaki.
Top Tip – Do not use fabric softeners on your nappies and your towels and if we are really talking about it, not at all. First of all, it coats the fabrics with oils which affects its ability to absorb and there is nothing natural about it and can irritate your baby’s delicate skin. Use vinegar, an essential in every green household. About 1/2 cup of white vinegar will leave all your washes soft & fresh. It’s cheaper too!
More green baby tips: