Watch out for Lumpy Skin Disease as UAE Bans Jordan’s Cows

Lumpy Skin DiseaseThe United Arab Emirates has imposed a temporary ban on imports of live cattle, their non-processed skins and all beef derivatives originating from the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan following recently reported cases of Lumpy Skin Disease (LSD).

LSD is an livestock disease with devastating economic impact comparable to that caused by foot-and-mouth disease. It causes skin lesions that result in severe and permanent damage to hides. Lesions can also appear in the animal’s mouth, pharynx and respiratory tract, which affect its ability to eat, causing rapid deterioration and severe emaciation. An outbreak typically culls 10 percent of affected herds, but mortality rates can reach as high as 40 percent.

The disease was first observed in 1929 in Zambia (formerly North Rhodesia) and was initially considered to be the result of poisoning or a hypersensitivity to insect bites. Cases were described in South Africa between 1943 and 1945, and after eight million cattle fell ill to the virus, the disease’s infectious nature was recognized.

LSD next migrated to Kenya, Sudan and Somalia with the disease seemingly restricted to sub-Saharan countries until 1988 when it was clinically recognized in Egypt.  Nearly two million cattle were rapidly vaccinated with a sheep pox vaccine resulting in low morbidity: approximately 1,449 animals died, or 2% of the Egyptian cattle population.

LSD was discovered in Israel a year later, and subsequently eliminated by the slaughter of all infected cattle.  To date, no further clinical cases have occurred there.

According to a report by Dr. F. Glyn Davies, head of the ODA Virology Project in Kenya, LSD has proved impossible to eradicate in sub-Saharan Africa. Restrictions on cattle movements have not prevented its spread and LSD is liable to extend its range from northeastern Africa and Egypt into the highly receptive Tigris-Euphrates delta.

There is no specific antiviral treatment available for LSD-infected cattle, however two vaccines (for sheep and goat pox virus) have been used widely in Africa with documented success.

Dr. Rashid Ahmed bin Fahad, UAE Minister of Environment and Water, issued a resolution based on reports by the World Organization for Animal Health stating that the ban will remain in place until the Jordanian epidemic is confirmed clear. The resolution explains that the move was taken as part of the ministry’s strategy to protect public health.

17 thoughts on “Watch out for Lumpy Skin Disease as UAE Bans Jordan’s Cows

1. herpes cure update

During this stage, dental sores, blisters, and other symptoms, such as fever, may develop.,|which only lasted
    in regards to a full week The incubation period of the virus is
    maintained from 3-7 times and after that, lesions will develop.

2. orogiada

Thanks , I’ve just been looking for information approximately this topic for a long time
    and yours is the best I have found out till now.
    But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you certain in regards
    to the source?

3. Pixel Gun 3D Hack

Howdy exceptional blog! Does running a blog such as this take a massive amount work?
    I’ve very little expertise in programming but I had
    been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, if you have any suggestions or techniques for
    new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject nevertheless I just had to ask.
    Many thanks!

Also visit my blog :: Pixel Gun 3D Hack

4. personalized tshirts

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be
    actually something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post,
    I will try to get the hang of it!

5. pinkly

Well, just click on the boarded wall on the left hand side 3 times to break open a way.
    But the player has to shoot him just before he smashes his head on the ground.
    Both tracks were placed on an official list thus
    bringing more attention to the album.

6. make your own t shirt

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to claim that I
    get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your
    feeds or even I success you get entry to consistently
    rapidly.

7. Prayer to St Jude

Υou could dеfinitely see yoսr skills in the
    աork you write. TҺe world hopes foг mߋre
    passionate writers ѕuch as ʏou աho aгe not afraid to mention ɦow theʏ believе.
    Αlways go after yoսr heart.

8. Pingback: Omani Fishermen caught cows instead of fish | Banadir Post

9. Pingback: Holy Cow! Omani fishermen catch cattle from sunken ship - Green Prophet - Wargeyska

10. Pingback: Lebanon : Lumpy skin disease - INDOHUN