Breast Milk Worth More Than Oil

breasts worth more than oil bok review One of the surprising facts in Florence William’s new book: breast milk is more expensive than oil.

Jet fuel in breast milk? Breasts getting bigger than generations ago? These are just two discoveries that investigative journalist, Florence William’s, shares in her latest book about the environmental impact on breasts.

Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History (2012) is more than an ode to those beguiling curves; it is part of the growing body of research and awareness about eco-conscious intimacy, a movement some are calling ‘ecosex.’ A term originally coined by Greenpeace about 10 years ago, among other things ecosex invites us to examine the impact of toxins on our reproductive selves.

“For such an enormously popular feature of the human race — even today, when they are frequently bikinied, bared, flaunted, measured, inflated, sexted, YouTubed, suckled, pierced, tattooed, tassled and in every way fetishized — it’s remarkable how little we know about their basic biology,” Williams says.

Being made primarily of fat and glandular tissue, “breasts, it turns out, are a particularly fine mirror of our industrial lives,” Williams explains. “In the course of a lifetime, [they] meet many friends and foes: lovers, babies, ill-fitting undergarments, persistent pollutants, maybe a nipple ring, a baggie of silicone or a dose of therapeutic radiation. It’s a lot to ask of breasts.”

Measurable consequences include bigger breasts developed earlier with toxins finding hiding places in unsuspecting bosoms. Toxins come from industrial sources including air pollution. William’s had her breast milk tested and found that it was laced with miniscule amounts of jet fuel. However, consumers are also inadvertently exposed to daily household use items.

Many of those are in our beauty, cleaning and pleasure aid products. For example, lead in lipsticks reduces fertility in men and women. Toluene in nail polish and hair dye stops menstruation and decreases sperm count. Pthalates are reproductive toxins found in fragrances, cosmetics, and personal care products (even many vibrators and dildos). Bisphenol-A in plastics has been shown to cause spontaneous abortions and alter a man’s sperm.

Breast cancer rates vary around the globe, with women in Israel having rates similar to the west. It kills fewer women than heart disease, but because its scars reach deeper than our skin, it’s the rallying call that resonates with women’s private erotic selves. This touches on another aspect of the ecosex movement; our attitudes towards pleasure, our bodies and what is considered ‘natural.’ For better or for worse, Williams message about breast health underscores the complicated relationship society often has with the female body.

From the author’s website:

Feted and fetishized, the breast is an evolutionary masterpiece. But in the modern world, the breast is changing… and attracting newfangled chemicals. Increasingly, the odds are stacked against us in the struggle with breast cancer – even among men. What makes breasts so mercurial – and so vulnerable?

Her investigation follows the life cycle of the breast from puberty to pregnancy to menopause, bringing her from a plastic surgeon’s office where she learns about the importance of cup size in Texas to a lab where she discovers the presence of environmental toxins in her own breast milk.

Endowed with a witty and inquisitive voice, Williams explores where breasts came from, where they have ended up, and what we can do to save them.

Florence Williams work often focuses on the environment, health and science. She is a contributing editor at Outside Magazine and a freelance writer for New York TimesNew York Times Magazine and numerous other publications.

Read more ecosex and breast health news:
Ecosex and Why Environmentalists Are Avoiding the e-Spot
Are Hormones in the Environment Making Women’s Breasts Bigger?
Natural Breast Enhancement

10 thoughts on “Breast Milk Worth More Than Oil

1. teds woodworking plans

Still callers requiring additional info are given contact details for places that can provide it.
    Baumgartner made it safely through the first 4,000 feet of what is called the Dead Zone Sunday
    morning. Butterfly Argento, Cocinella Fantasia range are as colourful as a floral bouquet.

2. anal toys

Link exchange is nothing else but it is only placing the other person’s weblog
    link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar in support
    of you.

3. anon

@JTR Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. If some women want to be “treated as cows” then why not? I like to be treated like a dog because that’s my fetish/lifestyle. Not everyone needs to live by the same guidelines and that’s the beauty of freedom. You live your life the way you want to and raise your kids the way you want to. I’ll live my life the way I want to and raise my kids the way I want to.

4. $c

@Micky ‘spontaneous abortion’ is the medical term for a miscarriage. Both terms sound like it’s the mother’s fault for the end of the pregnancy. However, I can’t think of a better one right now, any suggestions?

5. micky

1. Does she mean spontaneous miscarage rather than abortion, or does a pregnant woman sit down on a plastic chair in the doctor’s office one day and just decide “while i’m here, might as well”.
    2. JTR stop blaming education for family planning and eating habbits, the educational system isn’t responsible for everything, teach your own children good values, learning starts at home, schools should only be responsible for supplying healthy food and educating children on sexual health.
    3. Morgan, hahahahahahahaha ahahha hahaha, that’s the worst scam ever, seriously it makes no sense. XD

6. raj

MORGAN AND JENNIFER
    i know u are scam master. dont provide and bank password and any detail to him.
    your friend raj

7. morgan

MORGAN AND JENNIFER

Dear Respectful One,
    Good day to you my dear. Please permmit my introduction, I am communicating with you for the first time for a friendship but i would like to know if you can permit our communication,

Can we be friends please i would like to enquire your advise if you can be of our help, i and my younger Sister wants to invest to your country but we are worried since we lost out the contact of our Father’s friend to help us, please permit me to explain this to you, I have a problem and i decided to write you for a help. we have this problem however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will. I had tried all i could to search for my Father’s friend , I tried but i failed, I could not do anything to help my situation.

I have plans to invest in your country, like real estate and industrial production. Your profile pushed me to send you this mail, I am Morgan kuma, 22years old from republic of Sierra-Leone in West Africa but living in Cote D’ Ivoire and the only Son of Dr Romanus kuma My father was a highly reputable businessmen. It is sad to say that he passed away mysteriously in France during one of his business trips abroad on 12th. June.. 2007. Though his sudden death was linked or rather suspected to have been masterminded by an uncle of his who travelled with him at that time.

My mother died at child birth when I was just 13 years old,my imediate and only Sister survived and since then my father took me so special. Before his death last June 2007 he called the driver who accompanied him to the hospital and told him that he has the sum of ($12.300.000..00 Us Dollars) left in the Bank here in this country COTE D IVOIRE for safety. finally he issued a written instruction for me at the hospital before he died, but since i went back to our country my Uncle threathened to kill me because the driver linked the secret to him, I decided and fled the country, right now, I am here with my younger Sister, we need your help.

Now I do not know what to do, I have the documents of the money but my age is depriving me of the claim due to the mandate my Father reached, this was primarily due to his Brother, my Uncle, not to have a claim over the funds which he kept for us.

I am just 22 years old an undergraduate , I am confused, I don’t know what to do. This is because I and my Sister have suffered a lot of set backs as a result of incessant crisis in our country. The death of my Father actually brought sorrow to my life.I am in a sincere desire of your humble assistance in this regards.Your suggestions and ideas will be highly regarded.
    Now permit me to ask these few questions,

1. Can you honestly help us as your children,
    2. Can I completely trust you
    3. What percentage of the total amount in question will be good for you after the money is

in your account
    Please, Consider this and get back to me as soon as possible.
    Thank you so much. My regards to your family,
    Best Regards,
    Morgan and Jennifer

8. Tinamarie

Sometimes women can’t breastfeed or others might have an excess. It’s a loving gesture to provide this for another’s child.

9. JTR

Why would anyone want to sell human breast milk and treat women like cows?! If women ate healthy food their milk would be good for their children, but if a girl grows up munching on junk food, her baby will suffer. The problem is there is so much ignorance among the growing millions of people everything is falling apart. All educational systems need to include both healthy eating habits and family planning.