WWOOFing It: Organic Farm Volunteer Opportunities in Israel

almond-tree-green-prophet-1.jpg

The almond trees are blooming and the sun is out, which makes many of us start thinking about being outdoors and making summer plans.

Whether you’re an Israeli looking to explore different areas of the country or a visitor looking for a unique way to make a positive change in Israel, the Israeli branch of World-Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) offers a wide range of organic farming opportunities.

WWOOF was established in 1971 in the UK with the purpose of facilitating the interaction between organic farmers and interested volunteers, and has since expanded to over 35 countries.

The idea is simple – farms interested in receiving help from volunteers post their information through the WWOOF website and in exchange for their time and work, volunteers receive meals, accommodation, and a greater understanding of where their food comes from.

The range of opportunities in this small country is vast.  You could learn how to make organic goat cheese in the Negev, use bio dynamic organic orchard techniques developed 2,000 years ago by the Nabateans, pick organic olives, work on an organic date orchard near Eilat, take a permaculture course, grow organic medicinal herbs, or live on a reconstructed ancient farm in northern Israel.

::WWOOF Israel

See also Guesthousing it in Israel: Get Your Eco-Farm On for more local ideas.

31 thoughts on “WWOOFing It: Organic Farm Volunteer Opportunities in Israel

1. Julian Klassen

I am located in the souther tip of africa in a town named Pacaltsdorp. have a lot of farming opportunities need assistance with BLUE PRINT for Kubitz farming. in poor communitee

2. Geoffrey

We live in a Kenyan countryside in eco-friendly self-built house on 25 acres, with beautiful landscapes adjacent to Permanent River and a waterfall. We are located 230 kms from Nairobi. Approximately 20 miles from Nyahururu town, on the way to Mount Kenya and walking distance to the Equator. We are looking for someone from Israel or other country familiar with organic farming, who is willing to come to Kenya and assist with starting an organic farm on 25 acres.We would be happy to provide housing and meals for 1 or two people, or a couple, provided they are willing to live a basic, simple life with no electricity but there’s availability of water. The area is very safe, peaceful and people live in respect with each other. Here you will have freedom to travel or explore other parts of Kenya. We would like to make this a self sustaining farm and a model farm to train local farmers about organic farming.
    There are public buses commonly known as matatu, which operate everyday from Nairobi to Nyahururu, and we can also arrange for your pick up from airport at Nairobi to the farm.
    We can be reached via email geoffkenya2010@gmail.com

3. Adam Gallant

I am a Jewish Reconstructionist living in Toronto but am very interested in wwoofing, specifically organic farming, in Israel this summer and fall. Can you help make this happen for me?

In health and happiness,

Adam Gallant

4. Karin Kloosterman

Sable – you should go to the international WWOOF website. For a small fee you buy a directory which lists all the farms in the world. It is updated regularly. Good luck and enjoy. -Karin

5. sable

Hi am sable, i am an american and live in US, i am interested in WWOOFing in Israel, but i need names and addresses of host family, would you be able to help me in this? My email is Sablehj@yahoo.comThanks!

• Daniel Nakash

Hi sable,
      I’m from israel and i own a farm, please be my guest and come to me. I’m located in Metula in the upper Galile. you’l have accommodation and all you need.I grow olives and other trees. please tell me your dates of arrivel and for how long you want to stay.
      Daniel

6. Pingback: Volunteer for District Assembly Hiv/aids Education in Ghana | 6 World Education Blog

7. Andrea

Hi Rie Prize. Your observation about farming in Kenya is true.
    Am a Kenyan and feel that we need some interventions to bring about profitable farming. Farming technologies like hydroponics and green houses are out of reach to many kenyan farmers.
    Besides, any ideas to convert raw resources into marketable goods are most welcome.

Ready to join hands; waithak_ma@yahoo.com

8. Rie Prize

I am from Japan ,i have been volunteering in Kenya Africa ,it is a beautiful land ,Kenyas are very good in farming ,and they have good lands that i would wish for someone to help them in Agriculture ,the area that i was volunteering ,the lands are fertile and the problem is not so much agriculture is practised on it but the normal tradition of corn and beans,and yet the people are complaining of poverty.
    My request to anyone is to boost kenyas agriculture in to more farming .

You are free to contact me on rieprize@yahoo.com

9. Regi Delapenha

Hi I’m Regi from the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean.I am looking for someone from Israel, or other country familiar with organic farming who is willing to come to Grand Cayman to assist with starting an organic farm on 12 acres.Cayman Islands are beautiful, warm and friendly with some of the most beautiful beaches and clear blue water in the world.
    I would be happy to provide housing and keep for 2 persons, or a couple, as well as transportation and other assistance.
    I can be reached at regina@candw.ky
    Shalom,
    Thanks,Regi

10. Cecil Sealy

JOSHUA, A MILLION APOLOGIES, THIS IS A VERY VERY LATE RESPONSE, SINCE MY ATTEMPT TO SECURE IDEAS AND HELP FOR MY SISTERS FARM I HAVE LEFT MY EMPLOYMENT WHERE YOU WOULD HAVE CONTACTED ME.I AM ACTUALLY PLANNING TO RETURN TO BARBADOS IN AUGUST 2009 FROM THE USA AND IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU AND ANOTHER OR FEW PEOPLE WHO HAS SKILLS IN THE AGRI-ORGANIC FARMING TRADE TO ASSIST ME IN WORKING TO TRANSFORM THE LAND. (4.5 ACRES) I DON’T KNOW IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED, HOWEVER IF YOU HAVE NEW PLANS… CAN YOU CAN GET SOME OTHER HELP FOR ME. IT WILL BE FUN AND REWARDING. MY ADDRESS IN BARBADOS IN 18 HOPE PARK, ST GEORGE, BARBADOS. MY ADDRESS IN THE STATES IS 3670 SINGLE LEAF CT. HIGH-POINT, NC 27265
    I HOPE YOUR TRIP TO THE ISLAND WAS ENJOYABLE AND IF YOU COME BACK I HOPE TO BE THERE TO WELCOME YOU. KINDEST REGARDS, CECIL

11. pedro

Hi All
    I have been WWOOFing in Israel, and it was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the weather was worm, the people are so nice and i will go back next year
    to learn organic method which i was participate this year
    I recommend the beach, the desert, the green mountains to all
    that wants to travel
    enjoy

12. Indoor Organic Herbs

What a great picture, and an interesting opportunity. Organic Farming is the future and it’s great what the WOOOF people are doing to present opportunities like this for those who need help, and who want to help.

13. Lekh Nath

Respected Sir/Madam.
    I’ve been selected from International Dairy Husbandry Production Program conducted by CALPOLY & The Global Cow, LTD, Brattleboro, Vermont, USA (WWW.GLOBALCOW.COM, REF:Jill Stahl Tyler) for internship program on this Sept ’08 session. There interns can get practical training on Organic farm and Dairy Husbandry (slogan- Learn by Doing). As my interest i would like to have the similar kind of volunteer program in Israel. I wish to get the response soon regarding the training.
    Sigdel, Lekh Nath.
    Email: sigdel_np@hotmail.com
    TEL: +977-9841-1990-10

14. Dinesh Neupane

Hi!
    I am from Nepal. I have government approval human recruiting agency in Nepal. I want supply worker in Israel. If there need worker please let me know what kind of worker need there. I am interesting to send worker in Israel. I also want do this Business with partnership by your company.

Sincerely Yours

Dinesh Neupane
    Sunera Nepal
    Incorporated Pvt. Ltd.
    (Human Recruitment Service)
    Government license no. 367/059/060
    Kathmandu, Nepal
    Phone no. +977-1-4782203
    Mobile No. +977-9851011140

15. Josh

Hi Cecil,

I’m interested in talking about a year-long commitment. I will be traveling to Barbados 9/10 – 9/17 for holiday, but was thinking of returning in early October. I will be attending a correspondence school online so I need some internet access.

I would also like to make a little spending money on the side, but I cannot find much info on that with regards to U.S. citizens.

If you’d like you can contact me directly — joshua881 at cox (dot) net

16. Cecil V. Sealy

Please take time to read this note and please respond. i am from the island of Barbados in the Caribbean and my family has a little over five acres of agri-land to put anything on. i have read of the extensive and advanced agriculture techniques used in Isreal. i am trying to solicit some help. The soil in Barbados is about six to eight feet deep and then its coral and sand, i am trying to find the best crop or crops to plant that would thrive. the temperature is about 86 -89 constant with an atlantic ocean breeze blowing. Also my family is ready and willing to sponsor and house anyone/a family who would be willing to live in Barbados for a year or two to assist us. we will supply room and board and transportation. (we drive on the left) there is a jewish synagog on the island and the island in 95% christian. I think there is an enormous opportunity to make an impact on our agriculture. the Country has always been democratic in association with Britan so you do not have to worry about safety. Please e-mail me some thoughts.
    Respectfully,
    Cecil V.Sealy/800/472/6301

17. Pingback: The Jew and the Carrot » Blog Archive » CSA in Israel

18. yaakov kirschen

I am not an “Israeli looking to explore different areas of the country” nor am I “a visitor looking for a unique way to make a positive change in Israel”, but last week I had to travel from my home in Herzlia to an appointment in Jerusalem. I went by bus and, after having lost myself in a newspaper, I looked out of the bus window. We were approaching the city and I was surprised and entranced by the lovely blossoming almond trees that we passed. I thought of how, to us, the blooming of the Almond trees is somehow like the blooming of the Cherry trees to the Japanese… a beautiful marker of the passage of the seasons.
    Dry Bones